Replies

• Quick annecdote on how interoperability, interoptimability, and health equity efforts are perceived by healthcare providers. A day after I completed the first module, I spent several hours in the ER tending to a family emergency.  While I waited, I occassionally interacted, as appropriate, with ED staff.  I spoke about the work I do, and when I described it as "I train healthcare providers on trauma-informed care practices," their response was "Oh, you mean like improving ED trauma practices?" (e.g., meaning treating accute trauma injuries).  I then broadened my description to explain that my work is centered around health equity and supporting children, youth, and families, and training healthcare providers to position patients at the center, through interoperability and data-sharing practices that can better connect their collaboration with social service agencies.  To this, there was an "a-ha!" response of appreciation, followed by "yeah, we need more of that!"  Go figure.  Good lesson in how to frame what we're trying to accomplish.

• I love hearing this real-world example of how we can better communicate this work to those who would be served by it! Thanks for your share.

• The thing I kept thinking the entire time was how much our services would evolve if we could begin connecting local systems. We keep talking about this need in every setting, every meeting I'm in. Service providers in all professions need to be able to talk with each other without picking up the phone. We just haven't been able to figure out how to do it. I have funding to establish 2 data bridges between the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) my team operates and another system we have not yet identified. We are literally piloting a mini version of this, so I will get to practice what we're learning. I couldn't be more excited!

• It is so exciting to hear that you will be able to apply what you are learning to your work so soon! Please keep us posted on your progress. It sounds like an experience we will all be able to learn from.

This reply was deleted.