Can Social Policies Improve Health?

There is substantive evidence that social policies that address the social determinants of health have a substantial ROI. Why isn't more action being taken to fund and focus on SDoH?

Where can new policy and practice be developed to improve social policies?

Milbank conducted a systematic review and meta‐analysis of 38 randomized trials of social policies and their improvement of health.

“Our study is exciting because it shows for the first time that it is possible for the government to improve health by making investments outside of the health care system. Still, policymakers need to be careful about how they make these investments, because they also have the potential to do harm,” said author Peter Muennig, MD, a professor of health policy and management at the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University.

Policy Points:

• Social policies might not only improve economic well‐being, but also health. Health policy experts have therefore advocated for investments in social policies both to improve population health and potentially reduce health system costs.
  • Since the 1960s, a large number of social policies have been experimentally evaluated in the United States. Some of these experiments include health outcomes, providing a unique opportunity to inform evidence‐based policymaking.
  • Our comprehensive review and meta‐analysis of these experiments find suggestive evidence of health benefits associated with investments in early life, income support, and health insurance interventions. However, most studies were underpowered to detect health outcomes.

Read More >>

You need to be a member of The NIC Collaboration Hub to add comments!

Join The NIC Collaboration Hub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I was just skimming over the full study and the information gathered is certainly something to evaluate further. The researchers clearly believe that social policies are promising when it comes to population health however, there is a need for more studies to be conducted around this issue. It's certainly a good start though and can help shape SDoH policies in the future.

• I'm looking forward to fully understanding the scope and findings from this meta-analysis.  I think it will provide good insight into what we do next - and how the Action Agendawhich SOC Institute and the National Interoperability Collaborative is developing as a roadmap for a national SDOH policy and implementation program later in the year. 

This reply was deleted.