- FEHRM took over for the Interagency Program Office in 2019, which previously managed patient data exchange and interoperability between the DoD and VA’s EHR systems, is now in charge of VA and DoD’s new Cerner Millennium EHR systems, which are both set to launch within the next few weeks.
- The strategy hit on three essential interoperability and health IT deliverables:
- Plans to prevent vendor lock-in when it comes to patient health data
- Implementation of a single longitudinal patient EHR that covers military members from induction, through separation, and to the end of life
- Seamless patient data exchange capabilities with nongovernment providers that are more adaptable than current read-only data between HIEs and EHRs